30 Mai 2011

Reflections on Year One

It's been exactly a year since I first came to Africa and I have been thinking quite a bit lately about the last 12 months on this continent. Obviously, I have not really seen a lot and there is still a lot of unexplored territory on my personal African map, but many of the bits that I've seen in the past year are definitely among the most beautiful places that I have ever been to. The most fascinating part of Africa for me is the beautiful nature, the amazing wildlife, the wide sky and the stunning sunsets. And of course, the people - even though interaction has at times been and still continues to be challenging. Coming from Europe, some of the habits and attitudes of people here are simply startling and I sometimes find it hard to understand their acts and choices in life. That being said, I also find that making an effort from my part almost always pays off. The reward is a beautiful smile and some very interesting insights into Batswana culture. Of course, the fact that I am not on my own here also helps a lot - so a big thanks to my favorite man and all the other people who have made me feel at home here!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen